CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

MODERN MARVELS

**CAUTION** ORGAN RECITAL FOLLOWS!

For over 5 years, I've been pursuing relief from allergies and asthma. I've suffered unbelievably my entire life, no matter where I live. Three times, in 25+ years, I've tried allergy desensitization shots and couldn't tolerate even the lowest dose.

About 5.5 years ago, when asthma was becoming a chronic and regular issue, I went to a pulmonologist. He tested my blood for auto-immune somethings. I was over a 100 points past BAD. In turn, because of having this test, I met the criteria for a super-duper wonder drug, Xolair, that blocks all antihistamine responses. I go to a local allergy doctor for this.

This wonder drug is made from recombinant DNA and costs $1800 every 2 weeks, for 2 shots. The serum is thick like honey and hurts while going in very slowly. The nurse's arm would start to shake while injecting it! This shot enabled me to take allergy desensitization shots. This involved 2 shots, twice a week, gradually decreasing over 5 years to 2 shots, every 2 weeks. A separate office visit was required for each set of shots. As you can see, this has taken a huge amount of time and commitment on my part -- as well as really good insurance! I did have a relatively small copay. (We have primary and secondary insurance)

Last week, I had my final Xolair shot! After meeting with the doctor on Monday, I'm looking at stopping even maintenance desensitization shots in 6 months or so.

I can honestly point to this treatment as a therapy that has changed my life. Not only have I been able to stop 3-4 regular prescriptions, but I rarely require an antihistamine. I can be outside, work in the yard, sit in the grass, eat fresh fruit and veggies. I rarely have sinus issues, and I haven't had an asthma attack for over 5 years.

This sounds like an organ recital, but for me, it's been a long, demanding journey whose destination has changed my life.

Thanks, Dr. Matheson. YOU ROCK!!

3 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY

Thanks for the blog comment :)
L3 do I know you?

Looli

wow! I can't believe it's been 5.5 years. I'm so glad it worked. Two of the most scared times in my life were spent with you in the ER due to allergy/asthma problems. And both times I had a baby on my lap! Episode one, circa 1986 (baby= Dan), #2 circa 2004 (baby=Bay). Never again, Guh!

PamKnits

Now you're just gloating!

Post a Comment